Dedicated just fourteen days before the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Building No. 27 was the first church built at Lowry. The simple Colonial Revivalesque clapboard structure is a rare surviving example of many such standard military-design chapels built across the nation. President Dwight Eisenhower and his wife, Mamie, attended church here in 1953-55 when Lowry became the summer White House. When three duplicate wooden chapels were demolished at Lowry in the 1970’s, the Eisenhower connection saved this chapel. Now used for a variety of uses from weddings to public meetings, it is a centerpiece for the community and managed by the Lowry Foundation. It is both a national and Denver historic landmark.
For questions about Design Review Requests and HOA Covenants, park maintenance or HOA documents:
Community Manager: Jennifer Bublitz, MSI