Big Bear Ice Arena is the modern use of the historic High Technology Training Center “Black Shack”
High security gave this large hangar-like building the nickname of the “Black Shack” during the war years. Building 1499 became a training site for many different weapons and missiles when it opened in 1954. The first building sold to the private sector after the base closed, it underwent massive renovation in developing two ice arenas, and a completely remodeled interior to become known as “Big Bear”. It is situated at the north end of the Sports Complex and is easily visible from nearly anywhere in Lowry with its stand-alone hangar look.
For questions about Design Review Requests and HOA Covenants, park maintenance or HOA documents:
Community Manager: Jennifer Bublitz, MSI